Raleigh General Hospital has played an important role in the healthcare of residents of southern West Virginia for nearly a century. Our roots are deep, going all the way back to 1922, when the Kings Daughters, a women's charitable organization, built Kings Daughter's Hospital. In 1928, a group of physicians purchased the hospital and changed its name to Raleigh General Hospital. In 1969, Hospital Corporation of America took over the facility, and later built the structure that is now our home on Harper Road. A merger between HCA and Columbia led to new ownership until 2006, when LifePoint Hospitals, Inc. purchased Raleigh General.
Raleigh General Hospital cares for nearly 13,000 patients each year and treats more than 50,000 patients in its emergency room. We are accredited by the Joint Commission, the nationally recognized accrediting agency for healthcare facilities. Raleigh General Hospital also offers instructional programs for nursing students as well as numerous allied health student extern programs.
Operated through a partnership with Healogics, Raleigh General Hospital is able to offer a comprehensive center with specialized wound care. Healogics is the world's largest wound care management company with nearly 800 hospital partners delivering evidence-based care to patients with chronic wounds. Healogics has been the leader in wound care for nearly 20 years, offering the most advanced modalities such as adjunctive hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT). Of special importance to our hospital, Healogics Centers traditionally achieve excellent clinical outcomes, including high limb salvage rates, a 91% healing rate within 30 median days-to-heal, and extremely high patient satisfaction.