A leader then
In 1946, Hunterdon was the only county in the state of New Jersey without a hospital. Rose Angell, who was the county’s welfare director, decided that this was unacceptable, and with the help of Louise Leicester, a public relations specialist, she approached the Hunterdon County Board of Agriculture with a plea to build our county a hospital. Residents of Hunterdon County banded together to raise the funds to create their own community hospital. In 1953, Hunterdon Medical Center opened its doors and drew national attention for focusing on wellness and primary care.
The founders of Hunterdon Medical Center believed that a quality hospital should be a teaching hospital and that physicians who participate in ongoing medical education maintain their knowledge of advances in medicine and rise to the challenges set by inquisitive students. Hunterdon Medical Center’s Family Practice Residency Program is one of the oldest and most respected in the nation. The residency program is consistently successful in attracting the best and brightest medical students from the finest medical schools worldwide. Each year, a large percentage of Hunterdon Medical Center graduates choose to remain in the hospital’s service area. This has resulted in the continuous renewal of the medical philosophy of the importance of primary care and sustained the unique synergy between the hospital and its specialists.
A leader now
Hunterdon Healthcare exists to prevent disease, illness, and injury; to seek cures; relieve pain; give comfort, and inspire a healthy way of living. Hunterdon Medical Center treats over 8,600 inpatients annually, with 33,000 Emergency Department visits and over 292,000 outpatient visits per year. The 178-bed teaching hospital provides a full range of preventive, diagnostic and therapeutic inpatient and outpatient hospital and community health services.
A leader tomorrow
Hunterdon Healthcare will continue to keep pace and offer the newest trends in medicine to the community. Building a healthier community is not an innovative program – it is changing the behaviors of people. Hunterdon Healthcare will continue to give our community the tools needed to make healthier choices to improve their well being.
Hunterdon Medical Center has received accreditation and national recognition that verifies our position as a leading provider of quality healthcare.
The administration and staff of Hunterdon Medical Center are extremely proud of the many awards the community hospital has earned. Each one is recognition that Hunterdon Medical Center ranks within the top 10% of national and New Jersey hospitals in many performance indicators for quality healthcare.
Hunterdon Medical Center has achieved:
- Commission on Cancer
- US News & World Report
- New Jersey Top Doctors
- Magnet™ Recognition Program
- NICHE Designation
- Accreditation by the Joint Commission for the Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations
- Hunterdon Medical Center Awarded Platinum Award for “Outstanding Achievement”
- Hunterdon Medical Center Awarded the Collaboration Award by “Go Hunterdon”
- Hunterdon Happening Winners
- Wound Care Center Recognized with Two Awards for Excellence in Wound Healing
Additional Awards & Recognitions
- On March 29, 2018, Hunterdon Healthcare was awarded the Workplace Transformation Award. The annual award recognizes hospitals and health systems nationwide that have made transformational change in their employee engagement. Hunterdon Healthcare is one of six organizations nationwide to receive the award. Winners showed the highest level of improvement on engagement, coupled with levels of disengagement below the national average.
- In 2018 Hunterdon Medical Center was awarded Platinum Recognition for activities to increase enrollment in their state registry as organ, eye, and tissue donors via the “National Hospital Organ Donation Campaign” – From the US Dept. of Health & Human Services and Health Resource & Service Administration.
- Hunterdon Healthcare achieved the Women’s Choice Award for America’s Best Breast Center and America’s Best Hospitals for Cancer Care (2018).
- Listed as a Top Hospital in Inside New Jersey Magazine. Hunterdon Medical Center was also recognized for the treatment of breast cancer, prostate cancer, hip and knee repair, heart failure, stroke and neurological disorders.
- Fitch rating upgraded to an A+ based on Hunterdon Medical Center’s improved profitability, dominant market share, low debt burden and solid equity.
- Hunterdon Medical Center designated a Primary Stroke Center.
- Received the Joint Commission’s Gold Seal for Hunterdon Healthcare’s Palliative Care Program.
- Latino Outreach Program recognized at the 89th Annual Meeting of the New Jersey Hospital Association for Hunterdon Healthcare’s Latino Outreach Initiative.
- Received national recognition of the Antibiotic Stewardship Program identified by the American Hospital Association as Best Practice.
- National accreditation of the postgraduate yearly Pharmacy Residency Program.
- Hunterdon Medical Center is one of 12 hospitals participating in the Physician Hospital Collaboration Demonstration, a Medicare project that will evaluate gainsharing as an innovative method that aims to reduce healthcare costs while improving quality care.
- Hunterdon Regional Breast Care Program is accredited by the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers.
- Hunterdon Medical Center’s Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program is accredited by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation.
- Cardiac Testing Department is accredited by the Intersocietal Commission for the Accreditation of Echocardiography Laboratories.
- Accredited by the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer-Hunterdon Regional Cancer Center.
- Accredited by the Medical Society of New Jersey as an Intrastate Provider of Continuing Medical Education for Physicians.
- Accredited by the College of American Pathologists.
- Certification by the American Heart Association.
- Certificate of Recognition from the American Diabetes Association.
- Fox Chase Cancer Center Partner.
- Beckers Hospital Review listed Hunterdon Medical Center among its top 45 hospitals in the country with the lowest heart failure readmission rate – 18.5%. The national average is 21.5%.
- Platinum designation as New Jersey Smart Workplaces.
- The National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) has granted Patient Centered Medical Home certification at the highest level to many Hunterdon Healthcare System practices.
- Emergency PTCA Door to balloon time under 60 minutes.
- Named a Magnet Hospital by the American Nurses Credentialing Center.
- Accredited by the American Society of Health System Pharmacists.
- On average, Hunterdon Medical Center recycles 298.71 tons, which equates to 3,356.93 lb per patient bed.